Research and Programs
Our faculty has structured the department to have strong coverage in five areas: Applied Microeconomics, Econometrics, Economic Theory, Finance, and Macroeconomics. By focusing on these five core areas, particularly at the graduate level, the department offers a unique, specific educational experience. Aside from traditional coursework, research and special lectures, the department holds three weekly seminars to encourage collaboration and communication within these five disciplines. The seminars attract top scholars from throughout the world to discuss their work and also provide a forum for faculty and students to present their recent research.
Applied Microeconomics Group
- Coverage includes: Development, industrial organization, labor economics, and microeconometrics.
- Faculty: Jorge Balat, Caroline Fohlin, Mark Gersovitz, Yingyao Hu, Elena Krasnokutskaya, Robert Moffitt, Nicholas Papageorge, Richard Spady
- Adjunct Faculty: David Bishai (Population and Family Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health), Kevin Frick (Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health), Pravin Krishna (School of Advanced International Studies).
- Coverage includes: Microeconometric theory and applications, panel and cross-sectional techniques, nonparametrics, time-series methods, forecasting.
- Faculty: Jon Faust, Yingyao Hu, Yuya Sasaki, Jonathan Wright, Richard Spady
Economic Theory Group
- Coverage includes: Behavioral economics, game theory, industrial organization, mathematical economics, finance theory, political economy, and uncertainty.
- Faculty: Hülya Eraslan, Edi Karni, Ali Khan
- Coverage includes: Topics in applied and theoretical finance, fixed income securities, corporate re-structuring, bankruptcy, sovereign lending, financial econometrics.
- Faculty: Greg Duffee, Hülya Eraslan, Jon Faust, Olivier Jeanne, Jonathan Wright
- Undergraduate minor in financial economics offered in conjunction with the Center for Financial Economics
- Coverage includes: Domestic macroeconomics, international finance, international macroeconomics, monetary theory and policy, and time-series econometrics.
- Faculty: Laurence Ball, Christopher Carroll, Jon Faust, Olivier Jeanne, Louis Maccini, Jonathan Wright